Thursday 3 May 2012

Too many bananas

Hmm, what do you do when you have too many bananas? After dropping loads of "hints", I decided to make my hubby some banana bread. It's just cooling in the window and looks lush!


Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe

Ingredients:

  • 115 g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 c sugar (I use 1/2 cup xylitol as my hubby is a diabetic)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 cups flour (I use unbleached)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt (if I use salted butter, then I reduce this to 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used half-fat creme fraiche)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 160°C fan assisted.
  2. Butter loaf pan.(I use cake release spray)
  3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs, beating well.
  5. Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with butter mixture. Blend well.
  6. Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and stir well.
  7. Pour batter into pan.
  8. Bake approximately 45 minutes depending on your oven. The original recipe says bake for 1 hour, however in my fan assisted oven if I did that it would be burnt to a crisp! I usually bake for about 25-30 minutes and then see how much longer it needs. It is done when a tester in the middle comes out fairly clean. 
  9. Turn out onto rack to cool
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment