Thursday 12 April 2012

Starting the day right

Morning! Right, now after a brief set back with a bowl of ice cream last night, I am going to make up for it today!

 

I have decided to change things up a bit and add a few ingredients suggested on the Oh She Glows blog, and so the mix today looked like this:

  • 1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp nut butter
  • 1 tsp Maca
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla Almond Shake & Go
  • 1/2 scoop wheatgrass powder
  • 1 frozen ripe banana, chopped into circles
  • 2 handfuls organic spinach
  • 1 tsp green tea powder
  • Splash of vanilla
Ok, so the mixing went as usual, poured into my pint glass, and let it sit for 5 minutes for the chia seeds to swell a bit, and it looked like this


Then came the taste test. Umm, well, it tastes like seaweed or something really green, oh and did I mention the strong "almond" taste. Well it has that too, but more so the "green" taste. Up to now my green monster smoothies tasted nothing of the greenery inside. So, I can only imagine that the 1/2 scoop of wheatgrass I have been using has duked it out with the smoothie powder that I have added and this resulting taste hasn't been quite what I was expecting.

So, I think from now on, in place of the smoothie powder, which is a vegan protein type drink with loads of greens "organic green food blend (alfalfa grass, organic kale leaf, organic spinach leaf, organic broccoli sprout, spirulina)" I will just use 1 tablespoon of my regular vanilla protein powder, and will just use the smoothie mix on its own just as a smoothie. It has loads of goodness in it, and it low cal as well, so it won't go to waste, but WHOA! it is an acquired taste :-)

Ok, back to work now, thankfully working from home. I will post later once I have tried the protein pancake recipe, just awaiting my grocery delivery for the blueberries!

Have a good one.
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment