Wednesday 11 April 2012

Ramblings about diet and an epiphany!

Hands up if you try every diet going and every exercise fad as well. Anyone? Bueller?

I have a recurring theme in my life, and that is a lack of stick-to-it-ism

I have tried ever diet going weight watchers, slimming world, atkins (more than once), dukan, I can make you thin, Eat what you like, Don't eat what you like, etc. I currently have online memberships to WW, SW AND Jillian Michaels. Personally I am scared of Jillian!

I also have a compulsion to try any new healthy supplement, ingredient etc, which does end up in a lot of vitamin wastage as I simply forget to take them all and they expire, at the moment it's B12, Green tea extract, chia seeds and flax. Which is fine, and I have resolved to use up all current stuff before trying anything else new!! New years resolution so to speak



I have also tried most exercise dvd's/classes going....
Pole dancing (picture henrietta hippo dancing around in slapper shorts), power plates, body pump, step aerobics, yoga, pilates, yogalates, 30 day shred, Core secrets, spin, running, mountain biking, mini trampoline, zumba, oh and bootcamp, let us never ever forget bootcamp

What this has allowed me to do is to know that I totally dislike "team" exercise. My husband tries to get me to run with him, first time out, he forgot his contact lenses, and ended up running off after some scared looking woman, and I gave up and went home. Fact is, he is half a foot taller than me, and I am not a fast runner at the best of times. But I digress. I have found that I prefer my own company and music while exercising, but will do the weekly spin class with hubby and will go mountain biking and skiing with him as well. He's a bit of a dare devil and I am more your cautious type, but we get there in the end.

So, zumba and spin are in, because I laugh my head off in zumba class because it's a fun class and I am so hopelessly uncoordinated, and spin because it burns a hell of a lot of calories in a relatively short space of time, oh and there is only one class near me that I can make, so it's only once a week.

Running, now there is my exercise nemesis. I know it's great exercise, i know it in my heart, but its awful.I don't understand these people who have runners euphoria, and get in "the zone". Yet I pick it up and drop it and pick it up again because it's "good for me", hell I even managed a half marathon last year. I was happy when it was over, and pleased that I had finished it in just over 2 hours, it was a milestone, and I haven't been the same about running since. So I have signed up for a trail run of 5 miles next month, must dust off those shoes tomorrow and get started training.

Anyway the point of my ramble was not only all the money I have spent on all of this over the years, not to mention every hokey appetite suppressant going, and how much time and energy I have wasted on this endevour! So, this is my year to sort my health out, get my ass in gear as far as exercising regularly, and stop obsessing about my diet, and just learn to eat like a normal person, and be able to enjoy cake while I am doing it!

PS I realized that I am just playing lip service to both WW and SW by being an online member of nothing, and have cancelled both subscriptions, I am still afraid to cancel Jillian and let's face it. if I even do her exercises once a week I am much better off!

Rant over, thanks for "listening"
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment