Tuesday 10 April 2012

Apple pie oatmeal for breakfast? Don't mind if I do!


First of all, I must confess that I ate my oatmeal before remembering to take a photo! So I have taken this photo from the original post for the recipe from Oh She Glows blog. Fab recipe, with just a few tweeks to suit me and my ingredients that I had to hand

This makes 1 really large serving, but I had it for breakfast yesterday and today

Makes: 1 serving

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • Sprinkle of ground cinnamon
  • Dash of ground ginger + pinch of sea salt
  • 1 & 1/3 cups Almond Milk
  • 2 cooking apples, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup for drizzling (I used maple agave syrup)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used one of my cooking apples and made a quick apple sauce instead as we don't have unsweetened applesauce in the UK)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp chopped nuts, for sprinkling on top (optional)

Directions:
1. In a medium sized pot over medium heat, mix the oats, 1 peeled and chopped apple, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1.25 cups Almond milk, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt. Mix well.
2. In a separate pan I made the apple sauce with 1 cooking apple, that was peeled, cored and chopped up into chunks. I then cooked it over medium heat sprinkled with a packet of stevia and 3 tablespoons of water until it resembles chunky apple sauce,
2. Heat the oat mixture over medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring often. When the mixture thickens and the liquid is absorbed, it is ready. Stir in the apple sauce and pure vanilla extract.
3. Pour into a dish and sprinkle with chopped nuts, a pinch of cinnamon, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Add a tiny bit of almond milk on top if the mixture is too thick for you.

This recipe is lovely and filling and made for 2 meals for me, I also added a spoonful of natural peanut butter on top before serving, instead of the chopped nuts.

This keeps me nice and full until around 11, when I plan to have a green monster smoothie to make up for the excesses of the weekend! Well it was easter after all, and I tend to have peeps only once a year, mainly because I live in the UK, and can only get them for 10x their actual price on eBay as they are sent over from the US. So that craving being covered, I am good until next Easter!

Easter dinner was steaks on the BBQ grill, with jersey royal new potatoes, corn and tenderstem broccoli. For dessert I made rhubarb crumble with rhubarb from our garden. MMMMM

Ok, back on track today. The sun is out today and likely to be the only sun we see all week, so I am going for a run today one my many meetings are over, and I might even do the 30 day shred dvd. That Jillian is a killer!

Running a bit slowly today after a 4 day weekend, so had to finally give in to coffee...

Have a good day all!

No comments:

Post a Comment